$2.1M more for Soudelor recovery

Jun 11, 2018

Federal funding to aid the Marianas in long-term recovery from Typhoon Soudelor continues with a grant of $2,126,487 announced. FEMA, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, provides the money directly to the Commonwealth government, which then distributes it to the Commonwealth Utilities Corporation. The funds are a reimbursement of what CUC has already spent to pay for the repairs to Power Plants 1, 2, and 4. The federal funding represents 90 percent of the total cost. The Commonwealth is responsible for the remaining 10 percent.

Soudelor recovery assistance from FEMA has totaled over $37 million for public infrastructure and $25 million to individuals and households, since the typhoon hit in August 2015. Congress provides the funding pursuant to Section 406 of the Robert T. Stafford Act.